• Sustainable & Recycled Fabric
The fashion industry is the world’s second-largest polluter, after oil. Most clothing contains harmful dyes, toxins and pesticides that seep into the Earth’s system when thrown away. The toxins also carry on into the garments as we wear them. Along with chemicals, the fashion industry also uses an intense amount of water. It takes about 2,700 gallons of fresh water to make just one cotton t-shirt. That’s insane.
One of our favorite sustainable fabrics that we will be using is Bamboo.
Benefits of Bamboo (used in all of our tops):
1. Toxin Free: Naturally pest resistant and fast growing. Bamboo requires zero pesticides or fertilizers for cultivation.
2. Extreme Comfort: Round natural shape of bamboo fibre has a silkiness that is comparable to cashmere.
3. Thermo Regulating: Bamboo fibres micro-gaps aid ventilation, trapping cool air in the summer and warm air in the winter by 2-3 degrees.
4. Durability & Strength: Bamboo 300 thread count is equivalent to feel, and yet stronger, than 1000 thread count cotton fabrics.
5. Earth Friendly: Cultivation of Bamboo has a green footprint requiring zero water, pesticides, fertilizers and land clearing with record CO2 consumption.
6. Low Allergy: No harsh chemicals or pesticides assist with the management of allergies and irritations.
7. Bacteria Resistant: Bamboo owns a unique anti-bacteria bio-agent which testing has shown inhibits bacteria growth.
8. Odor Resistant: Combined with its antibacterial qualities, Bamboo's highly porous structure naturally repels odors.
9. Moisture Wicking: Bamboo's porous structure is highly absorbent, naturally wicking moisture away from the body.
10. Biodegradable: Just like other cellulose-based clothing materials, bamboo fibre is biodegradable in soil by micro organisms and sunlight. Having reached the end of its useful life, clothing made from bamboo can be composted and disposed of in an organic and environmentally friendly manner.
11. UV Protective: Bamboo has a natural U.V protection of 50+ and cuts out up to 98% of harmful U.V rays.
12. Breathable: Like Cotton, Bamboo is naturally breathable.
13. Easy to care for: Machine wash cold with like colors, delicate cycle. Tumble dry low. To be even more eco-friendly: hand wash and air dry.
• Made in the USA / Fair Trade
The factory we are using is located locally near Chicago, Illinois. They focus on helping people all over the country reduce waste by repairing and altering clothing, instead of just throwing it away. They also ensure fair wages and working conditions for all employees. Absolutely no child or slave labor, which sometimes happens when brands manufacture in other countries (10 million children between the ages of 5 and 14 are forced to work an average of 80 hours per week!).
• Slow Fashion Movement
As of right now, AMY ONYX will only be sold online (direct to consumer allows us to sell at wholesale price to keep costs down) rather than to a mass market and we will produce only a few styles per collection a few times a year. Also, our clothing will be of high-quality to last longer and everything is made-to-order to ensure no dead inventory.
• 100% Vegan
Like factory farming in the food industry, raising animals for clothing and accessories is often cruel to the animals and harmful to the environment. Even “humanely raised” animals are kept in captivity and slaughtered years before they would have died naturally, so it’s hard to argue that any animal-based material is truly humane.
• Size Inclusive Coming Soon (XXS-3X)
No matter if you're straight or curvy, there will be styles to accentuate your beautiful figure! (if you need smaller than an XXS or larger than a 3X, contact